Saturday, June 7, 2014

DAY 29. CHILLICOTHE, MO TO KIRKSVILLE, MO


I'm not sure how to describe today, maybe a visit to hell.

We had a delayed start due to thunder and lightening.  Instead of our typical 7:00 am departure we got off closer to 9:00 am.  When we left it was showering but after about 15 minutes the downpour began.  The cycling was miserable.  I had a flat at about mile 15 that damaged my tire.  I replaced the tube in the pouring rain and continued on to the first SAG where I replaced the tire.  A mile or so down the road, another flat.  At this point the rain was coming down in sheets.  I fixed the tire and got back on the road, riding with Tim.   The thought came across our minds of jumping in the van and taking a bump to KIRKSVILLE but we decided to press on.  At mile 50 I noticed a small building on the left side of the road with a sign "market".  I was drenched and chilled so we pulled off and went inside.  We were greeted by  a wonderful older woman.  I asked if we could get a sandwich......."sure, if my daughter comes back."

Long story short, we have a wonderful lunch with hot tea with Arlene and her 86 year old mother.  Arlene took my soaked rain jacket to her house next door and ran it through the dryer , presenting me with a. Warm, dry jacket to continue our journey.  She even offered to throw our bikes in the back of her truck and drive us to KIRKSVILLE some 25 miles away.

We pushed on the final 25 miles reaching our destination just before 5:00.

This was a day I'll never forget.

Thanks to Tim for pushing on an completing this epic day!

Best,

Michael

2 comments:

  1. did i mention how much we love following your adventure... and with that in mind, I think i will go for a quick spin up to col de madone which for you,at this stage, is a simply warm up.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. keep strong Michael. Loving the blog and re-living XC2013.

    ReplyDelete