Monday, May 19, 2014

DAY TEN. FLAGSTAFF TO HOLBROOK

I enjoyed having my riding partner with me this morning.  Michelle smoked me for about 25 miles, averaging 20 + mph and reaching in excess of 30 mph at times before calling it a day to rest the knee.  The plan is to have her ride a little further each day unit the knee feels 100%.

The ride started off with Michelle's small accessory bag falling off as we crossed the railroad tracks.  Thankfully her phone was not inside but the GU packs didn't fair so well.  A mile or two down the road she got her first flat tire.  Since I act as the mechanic on the trip, I went to work changing her rear tire.  Since she was riding beaded tires, it was a bugger to change.  I inserted the CO2 cartridge to inflate the tire and it didn't inflate!  Bad tube.  Took the whole thing apart again, inserted a new tube and after 30 minutes we were on our way.

Michelle took a bump after the first SAG and I continued on.  I traveled highway I-40 for most of the way, riding along the mile long rail cars that were transporting goods throughout the country.  The temperature today was reasonable, in the 80's.  The shoulder on the highway was smooth for most of the trip but filled with rubble.  The cross wind was strong, gusting to 40 mph and nearly blowing me off my bike at times.

We passed through WINSLOW AZ. where Michelle and I "stood on the corner of Winslow, AZ".  What a fine sight to see.

About a mile from our hotel (.5 star) I got my 4th flat!  I changed the tire quickly and continued on.  About .5 mile from the hotel I noticed a Dairy Queen so I pulled in and enjoyed a root beer float.

After an afternoon nap, the group headed out for dinner.  Tonight's location: Pizza Hut.  Not good, but
needed calories.

92 miles today.  Back in the saddle at 7:00 am and off to Gallup, N.M tomorrow some 94 miles away.  I spent some time in Gallup during my college years; Gallup is the center of the Indian Nation and a wonderful cultural area.

Best,

M&M


Standing on the corner of Winslow, AZ

Jackrabbit, AZ
Grand Canyon
                 
Grand Canyon



  

1 comment:

  1. Hi Michael and Michelle, sounds like flat fun riding, except for navigating the rubble. Your pictures are fabulous and thanks for posting... gives a real sense of the scope of the ride.
    Best,
    Mark

    ReplyDelete